Monday, April 2, 2007

I'm an idiot

I know, I know. This isn't exactly shocking news, but I just had it confirmed yet again.

I just got an email from a name I didn't know, and was about to delete it as spam, when I read the subject "USB Drive" and I thought, "hmmm that isn't sexual enough to be spam", and then I felt my stomach drop, wondering if indeed it was about my USB key. So, after psyching myself up, I went to check my keychain, just to convince myself I still had it. But sure enough, my USB key was missing. After calling myself a bunch of names, mostly unprintable, I opened the email, and lo and behold, it wasn't spam. It was from some nice man who found a USB key in the lobby of my apartment building. He doesn't live in my building, so he took it home, opened the files, found my email and has offered to bring it by to my place today.

While this does restore my faith in humanity - because, seriously, how easy would it have been to wipe out the files and keep it for himself? Which reminds me, you sir? Are awesome. - it doesn't show me in a good light. I have all sorts of personal information on that USB key. No, not just music that I tell other people I don't like, but I really do, but actual important stuff. Like copies of applications I've sent in for jobs. In the email, he says he found it Saturday. How many times have I used my keys since then? Tonnes. And did I notice anything was missing? Of course not. You know the saying "I'd lose my head if it wasn't attached to my body"? Well, in my case, it isn't hyperbole.

I really am an idiot.

No comments: