Monday, September 8, 2008

There's nothing in the world that I love more...

...than a round of "Wow, you are such a sucky, sucky daughter". Man, that never gets old.

Now, to be fair, I did totally deserve part of it, and was both expecting and accepting of that portion of the afternoon's entertainment.

But the majority of the last two hours were highly uncalled for.

The part where my weight issues were mentioned, even though it had nothing to do with the reason I was being called to the carpet? Awesome. And the part where my current success only served to prove just how terrible I had been for lo those many years? Fantastic. Oh, and the part where some event - which, IF true, would be both extremely odd behaviour on my part, and extremely minor in importance - gets highlighted as a textbook case of all that is wrong with me? Delightful. But the best part, bar none, was where the fact that I had no recollection of such an event (nor was I able to picture myself acting in such a manner) only further illustrated how wretched I am, as I didn't even care about how awful I had been. The fact that I would swear on all my shoes and makeup collection that it never happened is not even brought into the discussion. It happened. And to think of questioning it is tantamount to doing it again.

Sadly, this type of thing happens with alarming regularity. Some story is brought up where I behaved in a manner that is completely out of character and ridiculous, and while I have no memory of this ever taking place, I am told it is a perfect illustration of whatever flaw of mine we are picking on today, and it does not surprise them at all that I would block said behaviour from my memory. Now, I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I've done many things I regret in my life. But I'm pretty damn sure that I have not done these things that even when reminded, I have absolutely no memory of, though I am able to recall all sorts of details of stuff that occurred on the same day as the alleged action.

And now, as I always do after a brisk "Kick the stupid, smartass daughter" session, I'm going to get in the bath with a bottle of gin.

No comments: